Sunday 31 May 2009

First Day in to class - 31st May 2009

Its true that you do not relize the importance of a person or material as long as its with you. I experianced and realised the importance of such thing over last 15 days and still not able to forget it. Truth is somebody picked up my bike few days back, hope he is enjoying it :) as I did. Now, bike is not with me thigs are getting tougher now. I started to think office is much far away than usual, days are getting smaller and some things are really eating up my usual time. This may be my way of thinking or perception or too much dependent on bike commute, whatever it is but it's true.

I have to catch the Banashankari bus to reach Jayanagar east end and from there walk for 500 metres to reach SAN IT solutions near Tilaknagar main road, this is where our MS classes will be held. But that 500 metre turned out to be 2KM, so next time better to catch one more bus from east end. Today, i was late by 20 minutes to class. Class was already started, just entered the hall realised the whole class is full and all the seats were occupied except the first row. I never like to sit in the first bench, even during my college/school days. Thats because I dont like to show my sleepy face to the Prof. But today no options except the first bench.

Dr Shivanand Handigund was taking the software engineering class, but it took almost 2hrs to realise its a OOSD subject, I got confused with Project Management and OOSD. Even friend of mine who was sitting side by, after the lecturer was over about 3-4 hours he asked me "Is it OOSD or Project Management subject? Do you know?" No surprise he asked me that question. It happens when somebody hate those two subjects, I did hate them even during BE final semester. But still managed to top the subject in the class :).

Dr Shivanand Handigund did his Mtech and Phd from IIT Bombay (its now Mumbai, but prof or most still like to call Bombay). His teaching methodology (oosd term) is quite good, and most probabably he explains each term by giving example and thos example most likely related to the current education system rather than software engineering. So, we can learn much more about how the education system works :) But, he is really goood in giving examples and accepting the fault so we can call him self more reliable (he just took this example to exaplain what is realiability?) :).

After this OOSD class from 9Am to 12:30 PM, now comes the one more most interesting subject :) Software Project Management. This was conducted by Prof Priya, who got almost 9 years industry experience as project manager and 5 years in teaching. This is the second batch in Manipal she is handling similiar subject. (by the way mine is 5th A batch). The way she puts up the examples, use cases and software terms one can easily say she has got enough work experiance in the software field. She is really good in communicating the subject and making sure they understand it. She normally takes her previous experiances and puts them as example to understand the current topic.

So final class and more fun oriented was Data structure from Prof Keshav Murthy, who works for BIT. He is more interactive, enthu and sense of humour. Prof even cracked few jokes and I guess that was necessary if you are handling last class of the day that too during sunday.

There is always a learning, during my GATE classes I have learnt many new things and even understood more clearly the known matters. But, now in MS classes also I can realise that its the new learning curve.

"You never stop learning. If you have a teacher, you never stop being a student." - Elisabeth Rohm.

3 comments:

  1. Nicely written article. And as I was going to take admission in MS - CS this december, this all made more sense to me.

    I hope I will also get a chance to learn new things. I liked the following quote very much.

    "You never stop learning. If you have a teacher, you never stop being a student." - Elisabeth Rohm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article and experience sharing.. It must encourage lot of students towards Manipal Uni. and study study study !!

    ReplyDelete